home Asteroids | Donkey Kong | Duck Hunt | Frogger | Moon Patrol | Pacman | Pong | Simon | Space Invaders | StarCastle | Tertis

1986
                   
1987
1988
1989
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2006
   

Home

Asteroids | Donkey Kong | Duck Hunt | Frogger | Moon Patrol | Pacman | Pong | Simon | Space Invaders | StarCastle | Tertis

Date: 1989-06 atari800xl.org comp.sys.atari.8bit
DataQue Turbo-816 Speed  
 
1.  Gary D Duzan  
 More options Jun 2 1989, 12:27 pm
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: gdt@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) -
Date: 2 Jun 89 03:27:28 GMT
Local: Fri, Jun 2 1989 12:27 pm
Subject: DataQue Turbo-816 Speed
| | | | | | |

   Please do not publish the following information anywhere outside USENET
(i.e. newsletters or pay systems. I guess BBS's are ok, though.)
   I had a chat with Chuck Steinman on the DataQue support BBS, and he was
very helpful in answering my questions. It seems that the 65816 processor
used in the Turbo 816 is rated for 5 Mhz, though it appears it would probably
handle 8 Mhz. However, due to restrictions placed by the RAM on the
motherboard and some of the support chips (Pokey was mentioned), the Turbo
will be running at the normal 1.79 Mhz. { This may sound very limiting, but the
65816 in native mode will still be a good bit faster due to its ability to
handle 16 bit data chunks. More advanced features of the 65816 help as well
(there are two commands to move blocks of memory.) } DataQue is working on
this problem and will probably release an accelerator board in the future to
increase the speed closer to the chip's limit.
   (Info in {} above is my own, not Chuck's.)

   If you are interested in calling this BBS, the number is (419)529-5197
(I believe it is ASCII, 300-1200 baud).

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                                 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
+------------------------------------------+ UUCP: !uunet!udel.edu!vax1!gdtltr
| "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes | Internet: gdt@vax1.acs.udel.edu
| "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who | Other: Relay through CUNYVM
+-------------------------------------------------+        or something.


 
 
2.  Ivan Warner,G44 SSTF,6632,  
 More options Jun 5 1989, 10:19 pm
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: iwar@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner,G44 SSTF,6632,) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 13:19:35 GMT
Local: Mon, Jun 5 1989 10:19 pm
Subject: Re: DataQue Turbo-816 Speed
| | | | | | |
From article <3@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by gdt@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan):

        Could you post some more information about the DataQue Turbo-816,
as this is the first I've heard of it.

        From what you say, can I assume that it is a board that runs
standard Atari/6502 software, but using the 65816 instead of a 6502 ??

        I am interested because the final year project of my degree was
to add a 65816 2nd processor to an Atari 800XL. I ran the 65816 at 2.5MHz,
as I was not constrained by the graphics chips (Antic,GTIA) which require
the Atari to run at 1.79MHz. This meant that graphics progs would not work
unmodified, but stuff like BASIC, and Assemblers would.
The software ran twice as fast on the 65816 as on the 800XL (because the
6502 on the 800XL is slowed down by DMA performed by Antic).

        I connected the two together using the 800XL's parallel port. Any
I/O operations (such as screen, keyboard and disc accesses) were passed
across the parallel port to be handled by the 800XL. Thus the 65816
took over the role as main processor, and the 800XL was an intelligent
terminal to it.

                Ivan Warner


 
 
3.  Gary D Duzan  
 More options Jun 6 1989, 8:41 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: gdt@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 23:41:24 GMT
Local: Tues, Jun 6 1989 8:41 am
Subject: Re: DataQue Turbo-816 Speed
| | | | | | |
In article <1@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> iwar@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk writes:

=>
=>   Could you post some more information about the DataQue Turbo-816,
=>as this is the first I've heard of it.
=>
   Sure thing.

=>   From what you say, can I assume that it is a board that runs
=>standard Atari/6502 software, but using the 65816 instead of a 6502 ??
=>
   Correct. DataQue has also completely rewritten the Atari OS in the 65816
native mode. The basic upgrade will replace the OS ROM, 6502, add one wire
to the motherboard, and will initially run about $120. Supposedly they have
gone to great pains to maintain compatability with existing hardware and
software., and I understand they have had reasonable success. They will be
adding all sorts of neat stuff like a card bus, enhanced color graphics card,
RAM cards, accelerators, coprocessors, and some other stuff.

=>   I am interested because the final year project of my degree was
=>to add a 65816 2nd processor to an Atari 800XL. I ran the 65816 at 2.5MHz,
=>as I was not constrained by the graphics chips (Antic,GTIA) which require
=>the Atari to run at 1.79MHz. This meant that graphics progs would not work
=>unmodified, but stuff like BASIC, and Assemblers would.
=>The software ran twice as fast on the 65816 as on the 800XL (because the
=>6502 on the 800XL is slowed down by DMA performed by Antic).
=>
=>   I connected the two together using the 800XL's parallel port. Any
=>I/O operations (such as screen, keyboard and disc accesses) were passed
=>across the parallel port to be handled by the 800XL. Thus the 65816
=>took over the role as main processor, and the 800XL was an intelligent
=>terminal to it.
=>
=>
=>           Ivan Warner

   This sounds very interesting, and I have been thinking lately of similar
things myself. If you have your work written in some digital media somewhere,
I would be ever grateful if you could send me a copy. Thanx.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                                 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
+------------------------------------------+ UUCP: !uunet!udel.edu!vax1!gdtltr
| "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes | Internet: gdt@vax1.acs.udel.edu
| "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who | Other: Relay through CUNYVM
+-------------------------------------------------+        or something.


 
trying to locate...  
 
1.  Ray Wilmott  
 More options Jun 4 1989, 9:30 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: wilm@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) -
Date: 4 Jun 89 00:30:05 GMT
Local: Sun, Jun 4 1989 9:30 am
Subject: trying to locate...
| | | | | | |

----------

If anyone knows how I can get in touch with phillip Price (creator
of Alternate Reality for the Atari 8-bits), please e-mail me with
the info. Thanks.

                        -Ray

wilm@topaz.rutgers.edu


 
Need information on double-density SIO commands  
 
1.  Charles Green  
 More options Jun 4 1989, 10:41 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: char@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) -
Date: 4 Jun 89 01:41:53 GMT
Local: Sun, Jun 4 1989 10:41 am
Subject: Need information on double-density SIO commands
| | | | | | |
Now that I have an Atari drive that can read and write 256-byte sectors, I'd
like to try accessing floppies from a CP/M machine in our office, which can
write 40-track, single-sided, double density 256-byte sectors.  However, I
haven't been able to successfully use SIO to read the sectors.

I have a BASIC program with machine language assist which can read/write the
standard 128-byte sectors via SIO calls, stuffing 'R' into DCOMND and filling
in the other fields of the DCB for sector number and buffer.  I hoped that by
putting 256 into DBYTLO/HI I would be able to read the sectors, but I only got
data for the first three sectors, which leads me to believe I'm still only
giving the "single-density" read command, and the drive is being tolerant in
case I'm trying to boot from PROM.

So, can anyone shed some light on this issue?  Thanks for any information...
--
{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles     ex::!echo Boo:


 
 
2.  Charles Marslett  
 More options Jun 5 1989, 2:17 pm
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: c@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 05:17:17 GMT
Local: Mon, Jun 5 1989 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: Need information on double-density SIO commands
| | | | | | |

In article <7@c3pe.UUCP>, char@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) writes:
> Now that I have an Atari drive that can read and write 256-byte sectors, I'd
> like to try accessing floppies from a CP/M machine in our office, which can
> write 40-track, single-sided, double density 256-byte sectors.  However, I
> haven't been able to successfully use SIO to read the sectors.
> So, can anyone shed some light on this issue?  Thanks for any information...
> --
> {decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles        ex::!echo Boo:

You should be able to do that (I once wrote an ATR8000 "driver" that allowed
it to read/write 128-byte 1050-double-density disks, and another than read
1024-byte CP/M disks).  The major gotchas are (1) use $E459, not $E453 (the disk
handler), since $E453 code resets the length to 128 bytes before doing anything,
and (2) make sure you set the drive to double-density mode (if you need to) --
this depends on the type and generation of the drive . . . they're all different

Charles Marslett
c@killer.dallas.tx.us


 
 
3.  m.waucomont  
 More options Jun 6 1989, 2:56 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: rcb@eutrc3.UUCP (m.waucomont) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 17:56:40 GMT
Local: Tues, Jun 6 1989 2:56 am
Subject: Re: Need information on double-density SIO commands
| | | | | | |

In article <7@c3pe.UUCP> char@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) writes:
>Now that I have an Atari drive that can read and write 256-byte sectors, I'd
>like to try accessing floppies from a CP/M machine in our office, which can
>write 40-track, single-sided, double density 256-byte sectors.  However, I
>haven't been able to successfully use SIO to read the sectors.
>So, can anyone shed some light on this issue?  Thanks for any information...

Yep, the sources to read/write 256 bytes from/to a modified drive are on
its way to you, Charles. Anybody else interested in these sources can drop
a line (I don't want to blow that much info over comp.sys.atari.8bit). I
will mail them then :-)

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont


 
 
4.  Stan Lackey  
 More options Jun 6 1989, 3:49 am
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: slac@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 18:49:29 GMT
Local: Tues, Jun 6 1989 3:49 am
Subject: Re: Need information on double-density SIO commands
| | | | | | |

In article <7@c3pe.UUCP> char@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) writes:
>Now that I have an Atari drive that can read and write 256-byte sectors, I'd
>like to try accessing floppies from a CP/M machine in our office, which can
>write 40-track, single-sided, double density 256-byte sectors.  However, I
>haven't been able to successfully use SIO to read the sectors.

>I have a BASIC program with machine language assist which can read/write the
>standard 128-byte sectors via SIO calls, stuffing 'R' into DCOMND and filling
>in the other fields of the DCB for sector number and buffer.  I hoped that by
>putting 256 into DBYTLO/HI I would be able to read the sectors, but I only got
>data for the first three sectors, which leads me to believe I'm still only
>giving the "single-density" read command...

It sounds like you have the XF551.  I have hacked around doing exactly what
you are doing.  I believe that the way the density is selected is by using
'R' with the number of bytes; 128 selects single density (which is what the
first three sectors are written in) and 256 selects double density.  That's
all.  Note: the standard SIO entry (the address escapes me) resets the byte
count to 128!  If you have the OS listing, you should be able to figure out
the proper address; that is, the routine that is called after SIO sets byte
count to 128.  I can look it up if you need it.

My mission was to transfer files from IBM PC to Atari.  A kind soul on the
net came to my aid with a program to r/w Mydos 256-sector files with a
PC, and as it turns out Spartados can r/w Mydos disks.  I was prepared
to write all that stuff myself!  It all works beautiful now.

-Stan


 
Alternate Reality: The City; Patch?  
 
1.  guest_tmp  
 More options Jun 4 1989, 3:32 pm
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: guest_@misery.dec.com -
Date: 4 Jun 89 06:32:10 GMT
Local: Sun, Jun 4 1989 3:32 pm
Subject: Alternate Reality: The City; Patch?
| | | | | | |
A while ago, someone posted a patch for Alternate Reality: The City that
"opened" some of Philip Price's "closed" areas in the game.  It was a short
BASIC sector patch program.  Does anyone happen to have this?  I finally
had some time to battle with the 8-bit and I can't remember where I stored
the flaming patch!  Could someone send me this beast?

--Ron                             ===  guest_tmp%misery.@decwrl.dec.com  ===
                                  ===    decwrl!misery.dec.com!guest_tmp    ===


 
1027 power supply  
 
1.  Monty Wood  
 More options Jun 5 1989, 1:30 pm
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
From: w@dvinci.USask.CA (Monty Wood) -
Date: 5 Jun 89 04:30:20 GMT
Local: Mon, Jun 5 1989 1:30 pm
Subject: 1027 power supply
| | | | | | |
Hi...

I bought a 1027 printer without the power supply at a garage sale (cheap).
Can anyone tell me what kind of supply it requires? (12V AC, 9V AC, ???)

Thanks a lot.

Monty Wood

w@dvinci.UUCP
or - w@admin.usask.ca
or - wood@sask (Bitnet)


 

- - - -
End